After several meetings in various homes, a group of interested people gathered for an organizational meeting on February 20, 1949 becoming the First Conservative Baptist Church of Roseburg. On March 27th, we began meeting at the IOOF (Independant Order of Oddfellows) Hall. On July 3, 1949, Dr. Edgar B. Luther preached his first sermon.
On July 13, 1949, we moved to the Armory where regular services were held. The charter membership of the church was 79 and had grown to 100 by the end of 1949. On November 21, 1949, the Building Committee met at the Grover Blake home to begin planning for a new building. After investigating 31 possible building sites, the Lincoln Street location was chosen and ground was broken on December 21, 1949.
On October 1, 1950, the congregation moved into the basement of the incompleted building to hold services, which were broadcast on KQEN. The first baptismal service was held in the new church on August 5, 1951, and dedication of the building was held April 6, 1952. Dr. Luther resigned in January 1953, after serving for three-and-a-half years. Three other pastors (Virgil Savage, Guy Zehring, John R. Turnbull) served for a total of 10 years until Rev. Roy Campbell begain his ministry in January, 1963.
January 31, 1967, the church voted to purchase three-and-a-half acres of property on Garden Valley Road. Mr. Al Gandt of Medford was engaged as a buidling designer in 1968, and the church voted to proceed with the building of phase one on June 6, 1973. With $90,000 in our building fund, and a loan of $200,000 from the First National Bank of Oregon, the ground-breaking ceremony was conducted following the Sunday morning service on July 8, 1973.
During the process of construction, attendance growth indicated the need for additonal seating in the new church. Authorization was given to build on the foyer and offices at the front of the new building for an additional $17,000.
Respectfully submitted in 1973
by Helen Irving, Historian